January 20, 2012

Seeds of Faith

In ladies Bible study last week, we were asked to privately write down something we feel is lacking in our lives on a slip of paper. Later, my pastor's wife shared some powerful words.

What we lack is really a seed of faith planted in us. When we find promises we water and cultivate that seed of faith. Slowly it buds and becomes a sapling. By and by it grows into a might tree of faith.

Later in the class she gave us 5 scriptures to look up, to cling to, concerning this lack we feel so deeply:

Psalms 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Psalms 34:8-10 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him. The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing.

Psalms 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly

Ecclesiastes 3:11 He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

On the outside, I probably looked calm. But my inside were just a churning. Four out of the five verses I have written in my promise journal I keep. But I never looked at what I lack as a seed of faith.

I know what I feel like I lack the most:

My husband and all that he was to us.
My boys lack a dad.
I have friends and family who lack health, children, finances, security, love, freedom, and so much more.

What a way to look at this hole we feel.
There is a little seed in that hole, a seed of faith.

What words of hope!

What a challenge to trust God!

No comments: