February 02, 2012

In Memory of My Beloved

This is something the Lord gave me on the first anniversary of my husband's death. I was drawn to the accident scene. I did a lot of talking to God and a lot of crying. Then as I sat in silence, these words came to me and I had to write them down. The boys had been learning about personification and God used that to give me a story for the boys about their dad.


That Hat
Given to Mom by Jesus

February 2007

I am just a thick winter hat of a deep blue tone. For most months, I am just stuck in a box and even most winter days I am there. I am one of those waiting for company who forgets their own hat. But the man started wearing me after Christmas. I think his favorite black one needed washing. But he liked me because I was snug and not stretched out. I liked being worn by the man.

He loved to be outside so I wasn’t in the box much. We traveled around a lot too most often in a white car. When the man got too warm he just took me off and set me beside him on the seat. The gloves, his bible, and me got the honor of being next to the man. Often we would hear him pray or he’d pick up the bible and read it when we weren’t in his work. I felt special to be worn by this great man.

On that Monday morning I was on top of his head as usual getting ready to leave for the day. The man kissed his wife goodbye and she lovingly stroked his beard. They gazed at each other deeply then said "I love you."

Then we walked out into the cold winter air and got into the white car. As the man and his friend chattered, he slipped me off and raked his fingers through his hair, then put me on again as we headed into his work. Outside then inside we went that day to several different buildings, a bank, a car dealer, a grocery store, a shopping store, finally we were heading home in the dusk of the evening.

It got quite warm in the new truck the man had gotten. He took me off and placed me next to him on top of the gloves his family had given him for his birthday. Suddenly there was a horrible scraping sound of metal and a terrible blow of such force that spun the truck around and sent me flying off the seat. Finally everything stopped and there was an eerie silence.

Moments later I heard a faint sound like singing and even though the outside air was cold there was a warmth surrounding us-the man and me. Then I saw the most precious thing. Angels and the face of Jesus. His hand beckoning the man to come. Light filled the truck as the man’s soul opened his eyes and the angels guided him up toward the Lord Jesus. Jesus was just smiling down at the man and then wrapped His arms around him.

The man had many questions. But the Lord just smiled and said, “Let’s go home; my Father has it all taken care of. Don’t worry; He heard your prayers. They are safe in His arms.”

Then they were all gone. The warmth left and the light faded. Darkness and cold surrounded me. I could hear men’s voices and the sound of sirens in the distance. I felt so honored to be worn by such a man; and even more honored and thrilled to witness his going home to Heaven. The woman wears me now, making her feel close to her man, reminding her Jesus is near, and that God the Father is honoring the man’s prayers.

3 comments:

Rachel Beran said...

Wow, Christine! I read this with tears in my eyes the whole time. What a beautiful story to share with your sons...so honoring to their earthy father and pointing them to their Heavenly Father. Just beautiful!

And what a gift to have that hat as a wonderful reminder. Love that!

joyful spirit said...

Dear sister, thank you for sharing. I did not finish it with dry eyes. To imagine what that hat witnessed - the guiding LIGHT of our Lord is always with us, surrounding us. What vision it would have been to see our husbands hand in hand with Jesus. Thank you, HUGS and love,Angie

Leslie said...

Oh friend,

What a beautiful story. I love that you have this to share with your boys. Your heart continually shows my our Father's love.

Love you!