March 28, 2012

Ye Came Unto Me

Matthew 25:34- 40 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Recently God put it on my heart to visit someone at the county jail. This wasn't a gentle whisper, it was a nagging command until I confirmed it outloud. It was an experience I will never forget.

We had to talk through a phone and everything echoed. I had a little window to look through. Everything else was bars and gray. The jailers were very nice and respectful. The inmate awaiting trial was a mixture of grief and joy. I know that sounds strange. But it was like seeing a gem inside a dark mine. That is the power of the Lord Jesus. No wall or bars can keep Him out. He promised to never leave us nor forsake us. And my Jesus keeps His word. This welcomed-home prodigal child just glowed with love for the Lord. Gratitude flowed from heart and lips. When God allows everything taken from us is when we realize He is enough. A contentment enters the soul that is difficult to explain. A hope that cannot be expained is oxygen to the believer. Earthly things appear dim and heavenly things seem so clear. And the hope that just one soul will be snatched from hell makes all the suffering have purpose and worth it all.

I drove home encouraged and thankful and smitten in my heart. I take so much for granted. I look too much on earthly things.
I am too discontented too often. I don't spend enough time being a worshiper of the Living God or reading His Words of Life.
Maybe I am the one in jail and this other believer is more free than I realize.

Lord, thank You for opening my eyes to so much. For reminding me of my early days as Your child and loving me when I allow myself to be imprisoned by the cares of this life. My eyes are on You, My Lord. You are my strength and shield. Thank You for saving my wicked selfish soul. Thank You for loving me when I didn't even love You. Thank You for never leaving my side and cradling my broken heart when You took my beloved Home. You are alive! You are King! And I long for the day when every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that You are LORD!!

No comments: