February 20, 2010

Apple Pie

Recently the boys and I were reading a delightful book called How To Make Apple Pie and See the World. One of the boys piped up, "Let's make an apple pie!" My heart sunk.



Early that week, the boys and I had made homemade bread and homemade dinner rolls. I used to time these mouthwatering treats to be done cooking just as Jim arrived home from work. I have made them only a handful of times since his departure to heaven. Each time it was a duty, not a joy like it used to be. But when we had made them this time, it was a joy, a surprising joy and quite funny with six little hands helping to knead the doughs:) And they turned out wonderfully! The reward was Snipp devouring them saying, "These taste just like you used to make them, Mom!"



But apple pie? I just didn't feel like I had the strength to make apple pie. Long ago and far away making apple pie was one of those special things I made to delight my husband. Reluctantly, I searched for my receipe, and sighed a sigh of relief when I couldn't find it.



Several hours later an old friend stopped by briefly. She had been baking that day and the Lord put it on her heart to bring over some goodies. A homemade loaf of bread and pie. Yup, you guessed it! Apple pie!!!



Every step of this journey, God is revealing Himself to us in different ways. He has shown Himself strong as a financial provider, sliver remover, and now as the God of Apple Pie:)



God is good and He is sweet. Sweet as apple pie. It gives a whole new picture to the verse "O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him."Psalm 34:8

No comments: