June 29, 2008

More on Tithing

My sons devotions made me aware of something I haven't thought about before.

We all think of 10% of our increase/income when we hear the word tithe. A set amount we give out of love and duty. But realistically doesn't God deserved at least 10% of our time?! I read of a widow who agreed to tithe a part of her life to just the Lord. Not looking for a mate or dating for 10 yrs. (her family members often lived to 100). Now that is a long time and a huge vow to keep!

But back to my sons' devotion book, there are 168 hours in a week. So a tithe would be 16.8 hours or basically 17 hours. Wow! Now an average would be 2.4 hours to the Lord a day! It sounds like a lot of time to give God. But if we sleep 7 hours that's 49 hours of sleep a week. This got my attention. I was sure I fell short of 17hrs a week and set out to add up the time I really did give to God. And wow, do I have a different perspective on how I spend my time now. I have been trying to teach my boys about tithing and they love to give 10% of their increase (aka kidz pay) Now I have the challenge and joy of teaching them to tithe their time. So I challenge you to add up your time you give to the Lord: church services, personal devotions, discipleship classes, bible reading with family, prayer times, visitation, etc. And see how you measure up. Malachi 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

1 comment:

A JoyFilled Life said...

Wow, thank you for this post. Gives me something more to ponder on my journey towards passionately loving my God!