June 16, 2011

Breath

God reveals Himself to us through our experiences. In a ram for Abraham, He was the Great Provider. To Ruth, He was the Kinsman Redeemer. Recently, God showed me He is the Giver of Breath.

I knew this, in my head, I knew this. Yet recently He showed me this boldly. Without sharing all the details, a precious sister of mine in Christ, a dear prayer partner, had a reaction to an IV drug and instantly couldn’t breathe. Right in front of me, I saw her breath just immediately taken away. Instant panic came, others ran for help, time is a funny thing when a crisis hits. I don’t even remember all that I did or said. I remember thinking many things at once, grabbing her hand and praying. Moments later, I was trying to reach her husband on the phone as the room filled with medical personal. A few moments later, I was back in the room. Her breathing was still labored but definitely improved. And I once again was at her side, silently praying. This time I was praising the Lord for giving her the breath of life, for being the Giver of Breath.

I did a word study on “the fear of the Lord” back in April. And I believe that if people(myself in included) would just realize how God is the Giver of Breath then fearing Him would just be a natural response to His Sovereignty. Since this incident the Lord has shown me several verses on breath. I pray that as you read them, you thank the Lord for giving you breath today:

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Job 12:10 In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.

Acts 17:25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

Isaiah 42:5 Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

Ezekiel 37:5,6 Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD.

Daniel 5:23 But hast lifted up thyself against the Lord of heaven; and they have brought the vessels of his house before thee, and thou, and thy lords, thy wives, and thy concubines, have drunk wine in them; and thou hast praised the gods of silver, and gold, of brass, iron, wood, and stone, which see not, nor hear, nor know: and the God in whose hand thy breath is, and whose are all thy ways, hast thou not glorified:

Psalms 104:29b ….thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust.

Psalms 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

1 comment:

MaryElllen said...

Amen!