June 21, 2010

No Fear

In one single weekend God stretched me and taught me much. I hope to share these things in the next three posts.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy1:7

My son's former Sunday School teacher taught him this verse by making it into a song. Recently as I prepared the boys to be staying with weekend apart from me, we sang this song during our family devotions that we talked about fear. I also shared my notes I took from a recent sermon our preacher preached again about fear. I stressed that whenever we feel afraid that is our signal to Run to Jesus in prayer.

I intended this to be a lesson for them as I figured at some point they would miss me and feel afraid. Little did I know God was going to give me a pop quiz. I should have known, but I was surprised when as I drove down to the homeschool conference that God changed my plans on me. Once again He caused me to not depend on another, but to depend on Him. As the fear began to grow in me, I called out to Him as I had been drilling my boys to do. And He calmed my fears. Psalm 34:4 says He would deliver me from my fears and He did.

As I found my way downtown in our state's biggest city


As I got off the shuttle in the wrong place


As the conference was interrupted by tornado warnings


As I road the crowded shuttle back


As the storm clouds billowed up around me as I drove


As I walked alone in the parking garage


and many other little moments..............................

when fear rose its ugly head I squelched it with prayer. And on a few occasions with the song my son's teacher had taught him.

No comments: